Saturday, April 7, 2012

Marie Glawe Funeral was on Wed, April 4

David, Marie's son, sent me what he wrote that was read at her funeral on Wednesday in Winchester. In addition to Marie's husband, grandchildren, and great grand children,  Marie's sister, Louise Slater, her husband Mike and their daughters were in attendance as well as Pam Carlton (Juanita Bischoff's daughter).

Marie Dorothy Krausman Glawe
September 10, 1925 – March 31, 2012

I truly wish that I could be here with all of you to talk about my mother.  She was a strong woman who loved her family: Parents, aunts uncles, brothers and sister, cousins, nieces and nephews and her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends. She labored for the Lord as a Sunday School Teacher, Bible Study participant, Woman`s group participant and leader and as a parent.  Our lives revolved around the church when we were young, we often were one of the first to arrive for the 8:30am Worship Service and the last to leave after the 11:00am Service.  Walking beside her Lord she faced the challenges of her life.

When Mom and Dad were first married, mom did not know how to drive.  However, when Dad, as a Marine Reservist, was called up for the Korean War she had to learn how to drive. It was learn or sell their brand new car and take a big loss.  She then learned to drive.  She was always thankful that the Lord had used this opportunity because it served her well.  Especially when her mother and husband both ended up in the hospital at the same time. They were in  two different hospitals on opposite sides of the city.  She drove and faithfully visited both of them each day.

Mom loved to sing her hymns.  Now her voice was not the best but that didn`t matter.  She sang to us when we were babies and with us at other times.  Mom related the tale that once, when I was about 6 – 8 months old she was walking me on her shoulder and singing.  She heard this humming noise and tried to locate it in case something was wrong.  However, when she stopped singing the hum stopped also.  She started singing again and shortly afterwards she started to hear the hum again.  She did this several times before she realized that I was trying to sing along with her.  She had passed on to both Karen and myself her love of making a joyful noise to the Lord, and it has served me well.

Mom taught us the value of work and reading.  We would do the dishes and she would read to us.  In the winter she would turn the oven on low, open the door,  bring the chair forward and put her feet on the door with her feet facing the oven,  Karen would wash and I would dry the dishes and we put supper away as she read The Bobbsy Twins books, other Children`s Classics and of course tell us Bible Stories. Mom also enjoyed playing games with us and she was always delighted when she defeated her college educated children at `Scrabble`, which she did quite often.

Sometimes Mom found it hard to be a parent because she cared so much.  When I was confirmed we had a “Question Sunday.”  The week before we were confirmed, the confirmands sat together in front of the congregation.  The Pastor would then ask questions about Luther’s Small Catechism and other things we had covered in class.  At the practise on Saturday morning I got the last question, “Give the seven petitions of the Lord’s Prayer and what they mean.  I did it but on the way home I told mom that sometimes it seemed as if I had trouble getting the answers out.  Now we were not supposed to get the same questions on Sunday as we had in practice. However, one of the girls in the class came down with the measles overnight and sure enough I ended up being the last person to get a question and it was the same one.  Everything was quiet and I answered the question.  When I finished there was a loud expulsion of air from the back of the church.  Apparently mom had held her breath while I answered.  It was a good thing I didn’t take any longer or she might have passed out.

Mom and Dad supported me in my choices although friends and family would tell them that they should make me change my mind. They were fine with my beard although others thought that I was on the road to the abyss of hippydom.  She also supported my decision to attend Seminex even when my decision later caused some problems in their finding a church home.

Mom lived her life as she felt the Lord leading her, even when others, including my sister and I would question those decisions.  She felt that the Lord meant for her and all the body of Christ to make disciples using the gifts and opportunities that were ours alone. That was her mission in life, that in loving all her family and friends with her whole heart. Today is a time for us to rejoice that Marie has now entered the heavenly realm reaping the promise of her life-long faith and love of God and is in the loving and graceful presence of our Lord.  When we remember her love and wish to honor her place in our lives we do it best by living our faith.


Marie Dorothy Krausman Glawe
September 10, 1925-March 31, 2012

Marie was born to Louise (nee Brueggeman) and Otto Krausman on September 10, 1925 in Akron, Ohio.  She was the third child and first daughter of the couple.  She had 3 brothers and a sister. Both her mother and father came from large families and she was surround by family, aunts and uncles and cousins.  When Marie was 10 years old, in the midst of the Great Depression, the family moved to Washington, D.C..   Otto had been hired as a book binder by the Library of Congress.  Louise’s father, the Rev.  Ernst August Brueggeman lived with the family for a few years.  Marie graduated High School and began working for the government.  In late 1945, Marie met Heinz Frank Glawe, a Marine Sargent from Wisconsin.  Some of their first dates involved Frank escorting Marie to the hospital after work to see her father and then home.  Her Father died in February of 1946.  Marie and Frank were wed on June 28, 1946.  Their first child, Karen Marie was born in October of 1947.  The couple lived in the Maryland suburbs until Frank was called to active duty because of the Korean conflict.  They were stationed in Huntington, West Virginia. They returned Washington, D.C. in May of 1952, just two weeks prior to the birth of their second child, David Dale.  They live in Maryland and were active in their church.  They were founding members of Oxon Hill Lutheran Church and remain active in various positions until they moved to Winchester, Virginia.  In 1967 they began taking in foster children and in 1974 they receiver Jacqueline Lee Shepherd whom they eventually adopted.  When Frank retired from the Census Bureau in 1979 they move to Winchester Virginia.  There, Marie volunteered in the hospital and they ran their own What Not Shop for a few years.  After a long struggle of illness, Marie died on March 31, 2012. 

Marie was predeceased by her parents, Otto(1946) and Louise(1971); two brothers – Howrd in infancy an Russell (2005); her daughters, Karen (2005) and Jackie (2008) and a great-granddaughter. 

Marie is survived and remember by her loving Husband of almost 66 years, Frank, Son David (Sherry-Lynn) of Brooks, Alberta, Canada; her seven grandchildren, Tabatha of Red Deer, Alberta, Canada and Brandon of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada,  Amber(Andrew), Terry, Mary, Michael and China, former granddaughter-in-law, Bridget, all of Winchester, Virginia, and six great-grandchildren; her brother Ernst(Betty) and sister Louise(Mike) and many nieces, nephews and cousins.

She lived her life, faithful to the Lord and loving her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment